Draxler: Arsenal Wanted Me But Did Not Try To Sign Me This Winter


Julian Draxler says he has been in contact with Arsenal in the past but denied that the Gunners tried to sign him in January.

The Gunners were heavily linked with a move for the Germany international last month before he opted to leave Wolfsburg for Paris Saint-Germain.

WRITERS: AllArsenal are seeking new writers to join our fast-growing team - see here for more details.

Draxler says there was no approach from Arsene Wenger’s men and reveals why he opted to swap the Bundesliga for Ligue 1.

“I had some good years in Germany but I wanted to experience something different,” the 23-year-old told Telefoot. “For that reason, I chose to join PSG.

“The directors and coach at Wolfsburg have changed. I was on good terms with them and we decided it was best if I left. I listened to my heart and chose PSG as they play in a style that suits me best.

“I had several options though. Arsenal had been in contact since about two or three years ago but I was not in touch with them this winter [before joining PSG].”

Draxler has enjoyed a fine start to his career in France, scoring on his debut and managing four goals in his first five appearances for Unai Emery’s side.

“At first, I said I wanted to play in the No. 10 role,” he added. “However, the team needs me more on the left to create chances from there. That is my best role with PSG, where I am most useful.

“I am proud to be here and I hope to bring something to the team. I have won two or three titles so far in my career but that is not enough, I always want more. This is the club I needed in order to achieve that.”

Should Arsenal have tried to sign Draxler this winter? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below…