Wenger: “My Priority Has Always Been This Club”


Arsene Wenger has spoken about the fresh links with the England job, claiming that his priority has always been Arsenal. Sam Allardyce left the England hot seat on Tuesday after the allegations about corruption (via Arsenal.com).

He’s long been linked with a move away from Arsenal but Arsene Wenger has again been linked with the England manager’s job. The last time he was linked to the Wembley hot seat was back in June when the FA were looking for Roy Hodgson’s replacement. They went for Sam Allardyce but the former Bolton and West Ham boss lasted just 67 days.

Now there are fresh links with the Arsenal boss and the top job with England. My priority has always been this club,” Wenger said in the aftermath of the 2-0 victory over FC Basel. “Until the end of this season, I’m here. I’m completely focused on that.”

Wenger’s contract expires at the end of the season and there is much uncertainty over whether he’ll sign a new one. The Frenchman was quizzed about that too. “That’s not decided.” Wenger replied.

“I’ve said many times that my priority has always been Arsenal __football Club and I have to assess how well I do until the end of the season.”

The allegations surrounding Sam Allardyce seem to have shocked everyone, Wenger included. “I was focused on the game tonight so I didn’t see too much about it.” The Frenchman said.

“It was a huge surprise what happened to Sam Allardyce. Who could have predicted that 48 hours ago? Nobody. The game’s always full of surprises.”

It was never realistic that Arsene Wenger would leave Arsenal for the England manager’s job now. The Frenchman has famously never walked away from a contract and it would be highly unlikely that he would do so now.