Arsenal were interested in Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling five years ago

 

Liverpool wonderkid Raheem Sterling has been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal, with a potential swap deal with Theo Walcott on the cards, according to .


It has been revealed however, that we missed out on signing the talented youngster five years ago – back when he first signed for Liverpool.

The 20-year-old claims he was set to undergo trials with both Arsenal and Chelsea, but never made it that far. His first trial was with Liverpool, and he was immediately mesmerised.

“I was 15 when I signed to Liverpool’s youth team, and I have to admit I was starstruck,” he said, in a report by the .

“By the time I was 14, I had trials lined up at Arsenal, Chelsea and Fulham, but my Liverpool trial at Anfield came first, and when I saw the stadium and the training ground, I thought: ‘Right, I’m not leaving here until I’ve signed’.”

It seems a little short sighted of the England international to want to sign for the first big club he saw, especially before even experiencing what Arsenal and Chelsea had to offer.

Looking back now, it’s easy to say we missed out on a fantastic young talent. It’s difficult to know whether he would have developed into the same player however, or if he would have even broken into the Arsenal first team by now.

The pacy starlet could still potentially be Emirates bound, but he will no doubt cost us significantly more if we were to move for him this summer.

YARPP

, , , , , ,

: ,

post from sitemap
Categories: