Barcelona's Luis Suarez: Real Madrid were interested in me

The ESPN FC panel react to Barcelona's 4-0 win over Almeria as the Blaugrana maintained a four-point lead at the top of La Liga.

Barcelona forward Luis Suarez says Real Madrid expressed an interest in him before his move to the Camp Nou but told : "My dream was elsewhere."

Suarez joined Barca from Liverpool for €80 million in the summer of 2014, having reportedly been close to leaving Anfield for Madrid 12 months previously.

Asked on COPE radio show "El Partido de las 12" if there had been interest in the past from Madrid, the Uruguayan said the possibility had been there but he had always wanted to join Barca.

"Yes, for what I heard, and was told later there was [interest], but in reality my dream was elsewhere," Suarez said. "When I heard the name [of Barca], I had no doubts. Honestly, I never imagined that Barcelona would come in for me. There were no second thoughts in any moment. It was the dream I had for many years, and it came true."

The 28-year-old said he did not see himself finishing his career at the Camp Nou, due to the eternal competition for places at the club, and might return to Ajax or first club Nacional at some point.

"I always wanted to be here, but being at a club like Barcelona you never know what will happen. These years could be spectacular, but then they bring in new players, which is normal. I do not know if I will end my career here, it will be difficult," said Suarez, who has .

"I said before I was going to play again at Ajax, for all they gave me. And Nacional, in Uruguay, were the team where I made my first division debut, who fed me since I was a kid. It was my second home, and I appreciate that."

Juan Arango emulated Luis Suarez when he bit an opponent's shoulder in the dying seconds of his Tijuana's 4-3 Liga MX home defeat to Monterrey.

Suarez was not able to make his debut for Barcelona until October after receiving a four-month ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's over Italy in the group stage of last summer's World Cup.

That was the third biting incident of Suarez's career, and he has since .

"After the game I did not feel happy we had qualified for the last 16 -- I felt had let down a lot of people, starting with myself, my country, my wife and my kids, to be an example," Suarez said. "It was the worst moment. It is not that I have had treatment from psychologists, but the right people.

"It is not that they help me because I had a problem -- just that in some moments of your life you realise the worth of having a person to vent to, to express things so you do not keep them inside, as that can damage you later."

Suarez suggested that part of the blame for his bites had lain with Chiellini and Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic for their "provocative" behaviour, but he said he was now more "intelligent" and turned the other cheek when opponents tried to anger him.

"Dealing now with people who help me, in part it is my fault, and part is the provocation I feel," he said. "Instead of moving away and forgetting about it, I stayed there. I went through it with Ivanovic and with Chiellini -- they are defenders who know how to play, who provoke you and annoy you.

"They get on your nerves, and then the moment arrives when you are feeling bad. It still happens, but I move away or I speak nicely. Now I am more aware and more intelligent."

Suarez said he accepted criticism when it was fair, but had been angered by some recent reports in the English press, and still felt harshly treated by FIFA last summer.

"I am one of those who feels responsible when I am criticised, as I have given the critics some fuel," he said. "If I had done nothing, I would not be criticised. So I assume the responsibility. After the [Champions League first leg] game at Manchester City, the

"They did it in bad faith and that is what angers you. But when I bit, I took responsibility. About FIFA, I have already said: If someone punches another they are not treated as I was. To ban me from entering any stadium was not normal. That is what made me sad."

Use a to add a comment, subject to Facebook's and Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms.

post from sitemap
Categories: