I Regret Leaving Arsenal For Barcelona, Admits Star


Alexander Hleb has admitted he regrets leaving Arsenal for Barcelona and hopes the Gunners win the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League this season.

Hleb spent three years at Arsenal before moving to Camp Nou where he struggled to find his best form and admits his best memories are from his time in north London.

“I was playing at the top of my game in London and it was the best moments of my career,” Hleb told Reuters.

“In my first season we got to the Champions League final. We lost, but I remember this final more than the other one when I won with Barcelona in 2009, but I didn’t play.

“On the one hand I regret that I did not stay at Arsenal. Wenger was like a father to me and trusted me. I get sad when I start to think about this.

“On the other hand, Barcelona was and still is the strongest club. I did not play that often, but I still got game time.

“I was behaving like a bloke. Guardiola was young and had only just taken over the club. He could not find the right words.

“If Wenger had been in his place, he would have come up to me and talked to me. I am not blaming Guardiola. I should have behaved more professionally. Had it not been for the wrong decision that I took, I could have been playing at a top club for another five years.”

Hleb also took time to pay tribute to manager Arsene Wenger after he celebrated 20 years in charge of the club at the weekend.

“Wenger always sets the highest goals. He has managed to keep his key players and they are playing great football. They are tearing everyone apart,” he added.

“I hope the team will win three trophies this season – the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League. This Arsenal side certainly has the ability and I will really be supporting them.”

Hleb is not the first player to leave Arsenal for Barcelona but his words could prove cautionary, particularly with Hector Bellerin the latest Gunner to be linked with a move to Camp Nou.