Oxlade-Chamberlain Tells Wenger: Reward Me With A Start


Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has admitted he is hopeful of being handed a place in Arsenal’s starting XI for Saturday’s clash with Sunderland after his EFL Cup heroics on Tuesday.

The 23-year-old scored twice as the Gunners beat Reading 2-0 at the Emirates to book their place in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Arsenal take on the Premier League’s bottom side at the Stadium of Light on Saturday with Oxlade-Chamberlain hoping to be given another chance to impress.

“I hope so. Any game that I play in is an opportunity for me to show what I can do,” he said according to Sky Sports.

“Whether it is the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup or the League Cup, it is all important. It is always good to get your confidence up and to try and play the way you want to play.

“For me any chance I get to play is an opportunity. Hopefully that form will carry into the league and be rewarded with more starts.

“Of course I want to play as many games as I can, especially in the Premier League.

“When I get an opportunity, whether it is the cup or the Champions League, I have just got to do what I can to help the team and try to knock on the door for a start in the league.”

Oxlade-Chamberlain has certainly done all he can to force his way into Wenger’s thinking and is likely to be putting pressure on Alex Iwobi for a spot in the starting XI.

Indeed Wenger may be forced into changes for the clash with the Black Cats with Walcott reportedly a doubt and Aaron Ramsey and Olivier Giroud likely to be back in contention.