Guardiola: Wenger is The Boss, I Admire His Football


Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has lavished praise on Arsene Wenger as the two sides prepare to clash at the Etihad on Sunday afternoon.

The Gunners go into the game a point ahead of City who have endured some poor results recently, particularly heavy Premier League defeats to Leicester City and Chelsea.

The hosts are also without several key men with Sergio Aguero and Fernandinho both suspended while Ilkay Gundogan has seen his season ended prematurely with a serious knee injury.

Speaking ahead of the game Guardiola revealed the huge respect he has for Wenger and how much he enjoys watching the Frenchman’s teams play.

“He’s the boss, no? The commander-in-chief, the chief for Arsenal,” he said via The Guardian.

“I’m the commander-in-chief for Manchester City. I saw many Netflix series and that’s why [I say this]. Commander-in-chief and colonel, I use a lot. I like his way of football.

“He has been there a long time. What happens at a club such as Arsenal, it’s because a person is doing a good job.

“I understand it’s not easy to win the Premier League but I have a lot of respect about his career.

“I’ve said many times that I admire the way he tries to play and especially the quality of the players they like and they buy.”

Arsenal will certainly go into the game with confidence, unbeaten in their last six meetings with City and facing a side that has looked suspect defensively in recent weeks.