Xhaka: Scoring Goals Is Not Important


It has taken Granit Xhaka only four out of eight games to endear himself to the Arsenal faithful with his impressive displays. The fans already admire him because of his long-range goals against Nottingham Forest and Hull City, and as much as the Swiss loves the support he admits scoring goals in every game is not the most important on the agenda.

Speaking to Sky Sports in an exclusive interview, Xhaka remained realistic despite his stellar performances for the Gunners but hopes for a successful season.

“I’m happy that I’ve scored those two goals – don’t expect me to give that every week – but what’s most important is that the team play and perform well and that we reach our objectives,” he told Sky Sports.

“We obviously want to have a consistently good season and show the fans that we’re going to give absolutely everything in every game.

“Of course to do that we’re going to need a bit of luck along the way but we’re really going to give our all to have a successful season.”

A decent start to the season by the Gunners means they have a chance of challenging for the title but the midfielder added it is too soon to predict the course of the season.

“It’s probably too early to say but we’re having a really positive phase and that’s something that we’re happy with,” he added.

“We need to do the same against Burnley on Sunday, we need to approach the game in the same way and make sure we go into the international break still in this positive phase.”

Arsenal travel to Turf Moor to face Burnley for their Premier League fixture. Arsene Wenger will once again give Xhaka a starting a role considering the injury to Francis Coquelin.

Usually an injury to one of the regular 11 causes a huge setback for the Gunners but the 24-year-old is the perfect replacement. In fact, fans want the £34 million acquisition to be a more frequent part of the team.

“I’m very pleased with the fans’ support,” he said. “It’s been amazing the way they’ve supported the whole team and me.

“The fans are amazing, I’m really happy here at Arsenal and I’m going to do my best for this club.

“London is really nice and I’m really happy here but, of course, I’ve moved here to play __football and not just to be in the city.

“I’m happy with how it’s gone so far and I’m really satisfied with my first couple of months here and I’m enjoying being at Arsenal.”

Whether he offers more long-range action for the Gunners to witness is yet to be seen but it is hoped that Xhaka lives up to the expectations he has shown glimpses of for the club this early in the season.