Arsenal legend wants to replace Arsene Wenger but there should be no room for sentiment with such an appointment

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has again reiterated his desire to replace Arsene Wenger in the managerial hot-seat once the veteran boss calls time on his lengthy career.

Henry is currently taking his coaching badges, alongside the punditry work he’s doing for Sky, and many have taken to the idea of our record goalscorer making a romantic return to lead the club into a new era.

Wenger’s contract runs till 2017 and it wouldn’t be a surprised if his current deal was his last given that the Frenchman will turn 67 in two years time.


“If I am in my dreams, I would say to myself that I would like to come back to Arsenal,” Henry said (via ).

“But life doesn’t work like that. I know football, but will I be able to educate someone? I don’t know yet. I just want to learn how. I am preparing myself, that is it.

“After that, I don’t know if I will have the opportunity or not. I became an Arsenal fan and I truly love Arsenal so yes I would like to succeed Wenger but I am not there, so, calm yourselves down.”

It seems like a perfect scenario, but we all know that football doesn’t work that way, and in many ways it would be a huge gamble for Henry’s first managerial position to be at Arsenal.

Few successful managers jump straight into a ‘big’ job, Pep Guardiola perhaps being one notable exception, and as such perhaps it would make sense for Henry to ‘cut his teeth’ elsewhere before any move to take over at the Emirates Stadium?

With a statue outside the stadium, Henry will be forever synonymous with out club, but a poor managerial stint could damage his relationship with the fans.

YARPP

, ,

: ,

post from sitemap
Categories: