Bellerin: Premier League Suits Me More Than La Liga


Hector Bellerin insists his playing style is more suited to the Premier League than La Liga and says he has learned to play the “Arsenal way”.

The full-back has been heavily linked with a return to Barcelona throughout this season but speculation has quietened recently after the defender’s agent admitting he is close to signing a new deal at the Emirates.

Bellerin has also further distanced himself from a return to Camp Nou by insisting he is more suited to life in English __football than back in Spain.

“I think the way I’m built and the ideas in my head mean it suits me more to be in the Premier League,” he told Sport magazine.

“The mix I have from both sides with what I’ve learned at Arsenal in these past five years, especially becoming a defender and learning to play the Arsenal way – I think that’s what makes me who I am today.”

The Spain Under-21 international has also revealed that he only converted to right-back from an attacking role since he arrived at Arsenal.

“When I was at Barcelona I played as a winger. It was only in my last one or two years there that I played a few games at right-back – not more than five,” he added.

“But at one of them there was an Arsenal scout and they said: ‘Okay, this guy has to be a right-back.’ When Arsenal told me at the beginning, I was a bit frustrated – you know, thinking I like to be an attacker.

“But soon I realised what their vision was for me, and how they saw me as a right-back. In the beginning, learning a new position is not easy. But I’m feeling comfortable now. I’m really happy with whoever’s idea that was, because maybe if I was still a winger I wouldn’t be where I am.”

Bellerin’s latest comments seem to further suggest he sees his future at Arsenal and the club will be hoping he can return from his latest injury setback as soon as possible.