Former referee Howard Webb: My verdict on Man United's penalty appeal against Arsenal Manchester United player ratings against Arsenal

FORMER referee Howard Webb has had his say on Manchester United's penalty appeal in yesterday's 1-1 draw with Arsenal.

Jose Mourinho was left fuming on the touchline when referee Andre Marriner didn't point to the spot after Nacho Monreal appeared to bring Antonio Valencia down in the box.

And Webb, who retired in 2014 after 21 years as an official, was surprised to see Marriner wave away United's protests.

Jose Mourinho REUTERS

Jose Mourinho shocked by Andre Marriner's penalty decision

Nacho Monreal Antonio ValenciaREUTERS

Nacho Monreal appeared to take Antonio Valencia down in the box

“I think on balance it was a penalty,” Webb told BT Sport. “Was it a cast-iron, stone wall penalty? No.

“I saw it in slow-motion and the contact was less significant than I first thought.

“But do I think Monreal in his attempt to get the ball impeded him? Yes I do. I think it’s a penalty and I’m surprised Andre didn’t give it.

Andre MarrinerGETTY

Howard Webb surprised by Andre Marriner's penalty decision

Manchester United player ratings against Arsenal

Sat, November 19, 2016

Express Sport takes a look at how well the Manchester United players performed during their Premier League clash with Arsenal

Manchester United player ratings against Arsenal
Man Utd via Getty Images
1 of 15

Express Sport brings you Manchester United's player ratings from their 1-1 draw with Arsenal

“I don’t think there would have been much reaction if he had and I’m sure Wenger would have screaming for it down the other end.”

Manchester United went on to take the lead at Old Trafford through Juan Mata but Arsenal substitute Olivier Giroud grabbed an equaliser for the visitors on 89 minutes.