Bellerin: I Never Thought About Leaving Arsenal


Hector Bellerin has insisted he never thought about leaving Arsenal after signing a new long-term deal with the club.

The full-back has ended months of speculation over his future by extending his current deal and has revealed his delight at remaining with Arsene Wenger’s side.

Bellerin had been linked with a return to former club Barcelona while Manchester City had also been rumoured to be interested in a move for the full-back but he says he has never contemplating leaving north London.

“I’m really, really happy and this club is my home right now,” Bellerin told Arsenal Player. “I’ve been here for more than five years now so I was really, really excited when the club told me that they wanted to extend my contract.

“I wasn’t thinking about anything else other than staying here and continuing my development here. This is where I’m happy. I’m just very grateful and pleased to have signed.”

Bellerin is currently sidelined with an injury picked up against Spurs but is itching to return to action and says he is determined to keep working hard to bring success to the Gunners.

“Arsenal is not only about being a footballer, you have to be good person to play here. That’s what everyone transmits inside the club. You represent more than just a __football club,” he added.

“I’m a player who tries to be an example for everyone, not just on the pitch but off it as well.

“Now I’ve just got to keep on progressing, keep working hard to be the best player I can be, and hopefully help the team to be where its got to be, to win some silverware. That’s what everyone wants.”

Bellerin’s decision to commit his long-term future to the club is a massive boost and the Gunners will now be hoping that Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez can follow suit and extend their deals.