Arsenal Legend Admits He Wants Sporting Director Job


Robert Pires has admitted he wants to become sporting director at Arsenal and is keen for a return to his former club.

The 43-year-old enjoyed a superb career with the Gunners winning the Premier League twice and three FA Cup in a trophy-laden spell in north London.

The World Cup winner, who retired from __football earlier this year, was asked about his future ambitions by the Hindsutan Times and, in particular, working as a sporting director at Arsenal.

“Yes, it is my objective,’ Pires told the Hindustan Times. “I don’t know what will happen in the future, but I need to talk about it with the owners and Arsene Wenger.

“I’d love this job, I love to talk with the players. If I’m given this job one day, I can stay in contact with football, especially with Arsenal. I have a good relation with the manager, that’s important.

“I can work with the players, I can give advice to the young players, so we can find a good relationship between me and the players.”

Pires also admitted he had no interest in a managerial career, unlike some of his former team-mates who he feels are cut out for a career in charge of a club.

“For the moment, no. It’s not in my plans,” he added. “Thierry [Henry], Patrick [Vieira] and Freddie Ljungberg have a very good future as managers. But it’s not for me, at least at the moment because I don’t have a [coaching] license.

“Maybe one day, but at the moment I’m an ambassador for the club. This is a good job. There isn’t too much pressure. I’m enjoying my new life. I’m also very happy to be here and excited to watch the match with 1000 Arsenal fans.”