Ramsey: I Kept Telling Ozil ‘Shoot, Shoot’


Aaron Ramsey says he kept telling Mesut Ozil to shoot before he scored a sensational 87th minute winner to complete a remarkable 3-2 comeback win in Ludogorets.

The Gunners secured their place in the knockout stages of the Champions League with the victory which came despite the visitors having gone 2-0 down after just 15 minutes.

Goals from Granit Xhaka and Olivier Giroud restored parity before Ozil’s moment of genius which Ramsey admits caused his some consternation before the ball found the back of the net.

“I was just saying ‘shoot, shoot!’ so many times but he kept faking,” he told Standard Sport. “He is a quality player and it was a great finish. He was so calm in that situation and it topped off a great evening for us.

“I’m sure a lot of players would have shot first time but he made a couple of their players look a bit silly, sliding on the floor but it was a great finish and we are just delighted to come away with the win in the end.”

Ramsey was also delighted by his own performance as he returns to action after recovering from a hamstring injury picked up against Liverpool on the opening day of the season.

“I’m ready to face Tottenham,” he added. “I wouldn’t have been out there starting last night if I wasn’t ready. It was great for me.

“I’ve been out injured for a couple of months now and it was nice to be back starting again and getting 70-odd minutes. That will put me in good shape going into the weekend and hopefully I can stay fit.”

“Spurs have been a tough challenge in the past couple of seasons. They are unbeaten in the league this season but we will be full of confidence.”

Ramsey may not have been the only person screaming at Ozil to shoot although we should all perhaps know better than to doubt the decision making of a World Cup winner